It’s that time of year again. College students everywhere start to get antsy and place their bikini orders at Victoria’s Secret.com. It’s the long awaited Spring Break! The trip that made so many of us work so hard during winter break only to leave us bankrupt after making that final payment to Student City. This time can evoke a lot of emotions from us but, one common feeling everyone is sharing is the ungodly excitement you never thought you’d feel again after visiting Disney World when you were 8. For those of you who haven’t experienced Spring Break before I know you’re a little scared (admit it!). I mean, being in a foreign country is just that, foreign. Take a deep breath of relief because I can assure you it will be nothing but fun if you follow some simple do’s and don’ts.
- Drink water (or agua depending on your destination) the heavy drinking that will be taking place can easily leave you dehydrated and sickly. Asking for a glass of water at the bar is a little less embarrassing than taking a $200 ambulance ride.
- Use the buddy system. It sounds immature but ask around and you’ll hear horror stories about girls who have wondered off alone. Natalee Holloway, need I say more?
- Bring plastic bags to store your shower and hair stuff. My toiletry items exploded in my suitcase. That was not a fun time.
- Drink beer. Sorry ladies it’s your best bet. My travels to Mexico crushed my love of mixed and frozen drinks. Just remember “all inclusive” means “extremely watered down drinks”
- Pack dresses rather than skirts. It saves space and cuts down on your getting ready time. Plus it’s always better to be over dressed rather than under dressed. By the end of my trip all of my roommates were borrowing my clothes because I brought so many dresses.
- Bring more than one bottle of sunscreen. No, tanning oil with 8SPF is not good enough.
- Drink too much! No one likes a sloppy spring breaker, its bound to happen to someone so make sure it isn’t you.
- Tequila. Just don’t. If you decide to do Tequila be aware of your limits. This alcohol has been known to make people go loco.
- Wonder off alone! I told you this one already but it’s THAT important.
- Drink the water. Depending on your destination but, in most cases bottled water remains the safest route.
- Fight. Verbally or physically. The last thing you want to do is call your parents asking them to bail you out of Mexican jail.
- Be a party pooper, have fun! Make the best out of situations and don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Enter any “contests”. Wet t-shirt contests, sex position contests, etc. all fall under the “why the hell did I do that” category. Participate at your own risk.
My Spring Break to Cancun was amazing. Of course there were ups and downs but that’s life. It’s easy to have a good time when you’re in a beautiful place, with delicious (watery) drinks, and buff boys.